Public Relations Coordinator
The Community Foundation of Herkimer and Oneida Counties, a 501(c)(3) organization based in Utica, New York, serves a two-county area through a broad range of continuing community investments in nonprofit partner organizations. Having awarded more than $90 million over the last 70 years, the Community Foundation this year launched a $10 million, 10-year initiative aimed at addressing issues related to racial equity and social justice. The initiative has begun with the establishment of a Racial Equity and Social Justice Fund, an “equity pledge” campaign (www.mvequitypledge.org) and the formation of a diverse community advisory group to empower and give voice to leaders and residents of color.
The Public Relations Coordinator will work alongside the Public Relations Manager to assist with the implementation of The Community Foundation’s public relations strategy through organizing, planning and executing public relations and content marketing tasks that advance the organization’s reputation and relationships with key constituents, such as donors, nonprofit partners and community members.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
(Additional duties may be assigned)
- Generate content ideas for website, social media and traditional platforms working with the Community Investment and Development teams to identify opportunities that highlight the organization’s investments, initiatives and donors
- Create unique multimedia content using graphics, photos, videos and animations developed primarily in-house, but occasionally through working with various outside vendors
- Manage social media engagement through the creation and execution of a comprehensive social media strategy guided by the maintenance of a social media calendar
- Research and write news releases, feature stories and other copy for external publications and website
- Contribute to and support public relations output efforts, performing tasks and executing projects as assigned by the Public Relations Manager. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Direct mail and email communications
- Media relations
- Event support
- Graphic design
- Provide general administrative support for the public relations department, e.g., scheduling, vendor communication, data entry, branded inventory management, etc.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required in communications, marketing, public relations, advertising, or allied discipline
- 2 years’ experience in marketing, journalism, public relations or communications
- Equivalent combinations of education and work experience will be considered
- Required Computer Software: Microsoft Office (specifically Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel), Adobe Creative Cloud (specifically Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator), Social Media Platforms (specifically Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube)
- Preferred Computer Software: Adobe Creative Cloud (specifically Premiere, After Effects); Content Management Systems (such as WordPress, Silverstripe)
- Basic knowledge of SEO is preferred, but not required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Attention to detail; strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to write in various formats, including social media, newsletters, news releases and feature stories
- Proofreading skills and familiarity with AP Style guidelines preferred
- Able to work independently, as well as set and adhere to deadlines to ensure timely completion of tasks and projects
- Strong critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously with flexibility to adapt as priorities change
- Able to work effectively in a fast-paced, team-based environment with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Understanding of different social media platforms
- Desire for excellence and accuracy in the performance of duties
To apply for this position, please click here.
Contact John Husnay, email@example.com or Kayla Ellis, firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions related to this position.